Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Not So Pretty Side of Nature


A couple weeks ago I was home with Nora and we heard these birds going nuts! I look outside and there are sparrows, some kind of wrens, and mockingbirds all chirping around a HUGE snake! Lucas wasn't home so we just gave him his space. ( I know he's a black snake, harmless and good for killing mice, but they still give me the willies!) We had mowed a bunch of tall grass around our house and think he was looking for a new home on our porch which was pretty cluttered. So the next day Lucas was home and we heard the same birds again. It was so weird. Especially the mockingbirds. They were holding up thier wings high and wide and strutting around that snake like they were fearless. We had a sparrows nest up in the top corner of our porch and he had climbed up there and ate the babies. (we know cause we had to dissect him of course) We were too late, but I still ordered it's execution. He measured 58 inches.

3 comments:

adams fam said...

AHHH! I would have nightmares for a week! That's crazy! Love ya!

Jen said...

I hate snakes...loathe them in fact...can't handle it! Ewww!

Jen said...

P.S. So excited to have been enlightened to your blog...Christy didn't tell me about it until the other day! Yay! :-)